Reading time: 2 minutesPublished: September 11, 2018
We all like a squeaky clean mouth. There’s nothing like that feeling when we’ve had our teeth scaled and polished. We can create that super clean feeling right at home by using some pretty hard core toothpastes and mouth washes.
But did you know that your oral products are brimming with carcinogens, cytotoxic and neurotoxic additives? You know, the ingredients you’ve never heard of let alone are able to pronounce. Carcinogens cause cancer, cytotoxins are toxic to cells and neurotoxins are poisonous or disruptive to the nerve system. That’s not a great roll call for something that we use in small amounts at least twice on a daily basis.
Brushing your teeth is fundamental to good oral hygiene and may seem like a fairly innocuous activity, but there are a number of things that we should be looking to avoid.
- Artificial Preservatives like sodium benzoate, methyl paraben, and ethyl paraben are used to extend the shelf life of many top selling brand name mouthwashes, and have been shown to be cytotoxic and carcinogenic.
- Fluoride is used as an additive to the water supply and as an anti cavity ingredient in oral care products and has been under increasing scrutiny. Many clinicians share a concern that fluoride may upset the iodine balance in the body. This leads to widespread symptoms of low thyroid function which manifests as fatigue, weight gain, cold hands and feet, dry skin, irregular bowel function and brain fog.
- Triclosan is an antimicrobial and antibacterial agent which is present in many every day products such as deodorants, shaving creams, trash cans, clothing, cutting boards and credit cards. It is a pesticide and has no place in our personal care products. It has been banned in liquid soap because it is unsafe yet continues to be present in toothpaste.
- Artificial Dyes are found in virtually all mouthwashes and can actually stain your teeth over time. This lessens the whiteness of your smile. FD&C Green No. 3, D&C Yellow No. 10, and FD&C Blue No. 1 have been shown to be cytotoxic (toxic to living cells). Would you ever put paint in your mouth? Artificial dyes are processed by your liver and create an unnecessary burden. Avoid them.
- Propylene glycol. This mineral oil is also used in antifreeze, not exactly something you want to put in your mouth.
- Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS) This is a foaming agent which is used in many products, including industrial cleaning agents such as those found at the car wash.
- Glycerin is petroleum based humectant. It traps water in toothpaste so that when you squeeze the tube, you get a nice, smooth substance.
Unfortunately for consumers, it can take many years before side effects from the ingredients in these products fully manifest. This makes it virtually impossible to connect the symptom with the cause. It is the accumulative effects of toxic ingredients that is of concern because over time the liver can become overworked and stop doing its job, which can lead to unnecessary health complications.
We all like to think we have a good oral hygiene routine and just taking the time to read the labels (like we encourage you to do with food) can make all the difference.
See our facebook page (www.facebook.com/lifetrainme) for videos this month on how we keep to natural alternatives and what we found works for us. Keep healthy with us by cleaning up your deadly dental routine.
Written by: Mimi