Reading time: 2 minutesPublished: September 29, 2018
How will you change your early morning coffee habit? Sometimes life can be tough and we all try to pack in more than ever to satisfy our ever busy schedules. It can be easy to feel overwhelmed at the prospect of having so much to do which can make it hard to shut off at night. This means that it can be difficult to get the right amount of sleep. Do you know that feeling? You're exhausted before you even get up and you have to reach out for that early cup of coffee to get you started!
I am not a coffee drinker and I really never have been. I remember drinking it in the workplace to be social and because I couldn't stand the taste of regular tea with milk. Back in "the day" nobody had herbal tea much less milk alternatives. I should have known 20+ years ago that I was on a journey!
When that early morning energy is hard to find it's too easy to reach for the caffeine to lend a helping hand. But there are alternatives which are easy to get hold of, are healthier and can give you just as much of an energy boost.
I've listed my top 5 alternatives to coffee. How will you change your early morning coffee habit?
- Water. Yes, that's an obvious one because not many of us drinks enough of the H2O. Hydration is key to boosting energy levels and keeping lethargy at bay. Water is superbly hydrating and keeps your energy levels high. Try a large glass next time you feel tired. You'll be amazed how it can change how you feel.
- Matcha has slightly less caffeine content than coffee but has powerful antioxidants that are responsible for boosting energy. L-Theanine is a natural calming agent that works with the caffeine to provide a happy energy throughout the day. This is a great alternative to coffee and it tastes great.
- Wheatgrass is known to be a natural energiser and is a potent liquid for providing essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients. It's possibly an acquired taste but it provides some wonderful nourishment. Try adding a shot of wheatgrass to your daily diet, especially in the morning.
- Peppermint oil (and spearmint) has the ability to uplift as well as energise. This is a perfect essential oil to use if you are suffering from mid-afternoon “brain fog” or are just feeling a little blah. It contains high levels of menthol and has been shown to fight chronic fatigue as well as improve concentration. Try using a few drops in the shower in the morning. It's a real pick me up and the vapours will invigorate and uplift you.
- Green Tea can reduce your caffeine dependence and it contains less caffeine than coffee or black tea. You can sip green tea through the day without adding calories . You'll stay wide awake and avoid feeling lethargic.
Coffee consumption instantly boosts your energy and helps you feel awake, thanks to the caffeine content. However, it might not be the healthiest choice for your body. Excessive coffee consumption can cause unpleasant side effects which may include irritability, headache, insomnia, frequent urination, restlessness, stomach upset, nervousness and muscle tremors among others. Perhaps you can limit your coffee consumption to just a couple of cups a day to start and give some of these energy boosting alternatives a go instead.
We love these natural alternatives to coffee and we hope you will too.
Written by: Mimi